WME Singapore has joined its industry peers to be one of the first members of Singapore’s Construction Declares.
Construction Declares is a global petition with a collective will to join together those involved in construction and the built environment.
It is a public declaration of our planet’s environmental crisis and a commitment to take positive action in response to climate breakdown and biodiversity collapse.
We will seek to:
- Raise awareness of the climate and biodiversity emergencies and the urgent need for action amongst our clients, collaborators, supply chains, and the public at large.
- Advocate for faster change in our industry towards regenerative design practices and a higher funding priority to support this.
- Establish climate and biodiversity mitigation principles as the key measure of our industry’s success: demonstrated through awards, prizes and listings.
- Share knowledge and research to that end on an open source basis.
- Evaluate all new projects against the aspiration to contribute positively to mitigating climate breakdown, and encourage our clients to adopt this approach.
- Advocate to upgrade existing buildings for extended use as a more carbon efficient alternative to demolition and new build whenever there is a viable choice.
- Promote life cycle studies, carbon footprint assessment and post occupancy evaluation for specific structural components as part of the basic scope of work, to reduce both embodied and operational resource use.
- Adopt more regenerative design principles in practice, with the aim of providing structural engineering design that minimises embodied carbon footprint to help achieve the standard of net zero carbon.
- Collaborate with clients, architects, engineers and contractors to further reduce construction waste.
- Accelerate the shift to low embodied carbon materials in all our work.
- Minimise wasteful use of resources in our structural engineering design, both in quantum and in detail.
We hope that every structural engineering practice operating in SG will join us in making this commitment.
Find out more and join us https://www.constructiondeclares.com/